Why we get fat and what should we do lose weight?
Weight gain is one of the serious health issues many people face today. The image of large abdomens, bulging hips and flaps are not exactly sights to behold. Weight gain is also often associated with medical conditions such as heart problems, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Emotionally, a fat person may suffer from the negative self-image and low self-esteem. Indeed, there are several reasons why we should get rid of these excessive weights. But before we jump into a weight loss regimen, let us first understand the reasons why we get fat and what to do about it.
First, let us look at our eating habits and analyze why we get fat and what to do about it. We are often told to watch our calorie intake in order to keep our ideal weight. Opting for convenient food such as ones in fast food can make you more prone to weight gain. Furthermore, you will get fatter if you tend to eat large and heavy meals throughout the day. Correcting and modifying your eating habits is the key to this issue. What you can do is to:
* Opt for healthy food choices. Make a conscious effort to settle for healthy foods such as brown rather than on white bread and pasta. Make time pack your own snacks or lunch instead of eating out in fast food chains. This way, you are sure of what you’re putting inside your stomach.
* Instead of eating heavy meals, space your eating time to five to six times a day consisting of light and healthy meals and snacks. Try to look for healthier snack options such as fruits and nuts instead of chocolates and burgers.
* Your main meals should also consist of food from the five food groups. Eat fiber-rich food, lean proteins. Of course, fat foods are also important but consume only within a prescribed amount.
Another reason why we get fat is a sedentary lifestyle. If you sit in the office all day and there’s no way to expend your extra calories, you will surely get fat. Exercise is an important way to burn body fat and become more fit.
* Make it a point to use the stairs instead of the elevator if you’re not in a hurry. Little things such as walking to the grocery and lifting your grocery bags will also help.
* Indulge in an exercise routine. Commit to it as you would commit to an important meeting.
* If you can’t go to the gym regularly, you can also go running, brisk walking and hiking within the neighborhood.
Third, let’s take a look at the role of metabolism and see why we get fat and what to do about it.
Metabolism is the chemical process that burns down calories, absorb the essential nutrients and use fat as energy. You may have a slow metabolism because of genetics, lifestyle and food choices. The faster your metabolism is, the more effective you are in fighting fat storage.
To increase metabolic rate, you can:
* Build more muscles. Muscles require 6 calories to burn even while at rest, and so much more when working out. The more muscles you have, the higher your metabolic rate.
* Drink lots of fluids. Water is an important part of calorie burning and the more you drink water, the more fats are burned. Aside from water, you may also drink fruit-based beverages as they can also rev up the metabolism.
* Consume fiber-rich foods and beverages. Add more fruits and vegetables into your diet as they are rich in fiber. You can also boost metabolism by eating more protein-rich foods and lesser carbohydrates, and by drinking coffee and tea.
Knowing the reasons why we get fat and what to do about it is the first step towards a healthier weight loss. Do not indulge in fad or crash diets and become consistent with your workouts and you will soon see significant changes not just in your weight, but also in your overall health.